Sunday, January 31, 2010

Antony and the Johnsons and a little bit of vintage Givenchy

Tonight I went to see Antony and the Johnsons play at the Opera house.

I was first introduced to the extreme talent that is Antony Hegarty in 2003 at Lou Reed's concert at the State theatre.

He was a backup singer for Reed and was given a solo to sing. He sang Sweet Jane (from memory) and it completely blew the audience's mind.

January 2005 was the Leonard Cohen Tribute show 'Came so far for beauty' at the Opera House. Artists such as Rufus and Martha Wainwright, Beth Orton, Nick Cave and Jarvis Cocker sang their interpretations of famous Cohen songs in what was truly an unbelievable event. To have all those people, and more, in the same room is all kinds of miraculous. Antony was easily the best though, that night and for him to standout amongst that crowd really says something.

Again in 2007, Lou Reed toured with his 'Berlin' tour. Once again Antony came along, with a much larger role this time.
He sang on his own a few times and the audience actually let out a collective sigh when he came off the end of one particular falsetto crescendo. I die.

I found a great description of his voice from a review by The Guardian -


"Fluttering between a keening falsetto and a lower register with all the richness of a mature black female voice, it's one of those unique instruments that channel emotion with such purity you can't quite believe you are in the same room."

And it's all so true. You cannot actually understand how the noises coming from his mouth could be that of a human. He is surely part angel or something. I mean, I'm a freak for the likes of Mariah, Whitney, Barbra, Celine- the greats- and even their voices sound average by comparison.
Anyway, all the while he was doing these tours with other people he had been to Sydney at least twice with the Johnsons on their own tours.
Sadly, everytime I tried to buy tickets they had already sold out. It's completely understandable but I was always outrageously upset.

LUCKILY this year- I finally managed to nab some seats. I was so delighted.


Highlights:
-Antony sang Beyonce's Crazy In Love and it's one of the greatest covers I've ever heard. It was so, so beautiful. I'm quite sure my heart stopped.
-He is surprisingly funny. I mean, not in a stand up comedian kind of way, but his conversation with the audience was both witty and captivating and I would have been quite happy for him to keep talking for a while.
Lowlights:
-Well, lowlight. The support act was horrendous. It was like a golden Na'vi ranga. This tall, elvish thing wearing a gold bustier like Beyonce in her sweet dreams clip and it had a long, red plait down its back. It basically took 15 minutes to walk across the stage one time wearing a white robe and a beak, then another 15 back the other way wearing a black tulle veil. Seriously. What. The. Fuck. It was up there with the most offensively boring things I've ever seen and I really want that half hour of my life back.

As for my outfit, I was trying to channel Ashley Olsen in these pics. She is wearing head to toe Chanel, of course, but I was going for a little bit of the big shoulder, Balmain inspired, loud print look, too.


I've never worn this Vintage Givenchy suit before. And with the skirt AND the jacket AND the belt it was all a bit OTT and kind of swallowed me. I think the Jacket with this skirt was just enough.

Truth be told, I'm not even really into vintage. I mean, in the form of what it has become. ie- any old girl/guy buying an old nightie, pair of shorts or a tshirt and thinking they look fantastic because it came from an op shop.

To me, real vintage is only fashionable when it's perfectly tailored, has no stains and/or rips and is an individual show piece. Think Rachel Zoe and some of the absolute show stoppers she has obtained.
So that is why I have limited number of vintage pieces and they're all really special and in perfect condition.


LOL at how white the lights made my legs! eep!

Jacket- Givenchy
Shirt- Cue
Ruffle bib- Vintage (part of a marching band uniform)
Skirt- Wheels and Dollbaby
Belt- Givenchy
Shoes- Mollini
Bag- Chanel Jumbo Classic in Caviar
nails- OPI 'tangerine scene'

(P.S- Sorry for the lack of outfit posts lately [because I know you're all sitting at home waiting desperately to see what I'm wearing *cough*] but since the weather has been so bizarre I've just been wearing shorts and singlets for the heat and popping a hoody when it gets cold. Neither inspiring or indicative of my personal, signature style so pointless to post. I promise I'll try and put them up more frequently now my dance card is fuller. x)

So did anyone else see the concert? What did you think of the lovely support act? *cough*

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I coughed twice during that post. I must be coming down with sarcasm flu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MARLO YOU GODDESS! I want to live in your wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you look absolutely gorgeous <3
    Your outfit is divine and you've styled it so well and so uniquely - it's the most creative mix :)
    Adore your bag and shoes especially!
    And your mani is gorgeous too - I've been thinking of getting that colour, now I want it! :)

    Love the outfit of Ashleys you were chanelling and I couldn't agree more with what you wrote about vintage.

    <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your outfit! You are so inventive and creative with your outfits!! It looks like so much fun!

    I have always wanted to go to opera...but have no idea where to start.

    You need to have more outfit posts! I really love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look awesome but i'm not crazy about the skirt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an amazing concert (bar the support act). Love how you've styled the jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Christ. Lose some fucking weight on your legs. How embarassing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this outfit Marlo. One of your best xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous outfit Marlo, tres chic! I adore the neck bow. And I LOL'd at your description of the support act. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning outfit! I love every element, it's just so right!

    ReplyDelete

Stay cute...