Friday, January 15, 2010

Never work with animals or children...

Just work with BOTH of them.

Today was the photo shoot for the Harper's Bazaar Disney themed editorial in which Romance was born are featured as one of Australia's top 10 designers.
101 dalmatians were summoned via a press release on Wednesday to dress in black and white (spots preferable) in their own interpretation of a dalmatian for the shoot at Sydney's State Theatre.

I'm not particularly into spots so I was a little flustered as to what I should wear! In the end I settled on something that is very much my style, but had the playful look of a puppy.

Shirt- Black Peace Now (Japanese men's brand)
Top- Lounge Apparel
Hot pants- Patricia Field
Stockings- Leg Avenue
Boots- Robert Clergerie
Headband- Forever 21 Japan
Scarf- Lounge Apparel
Cuff- Alannah Hill

So I was trying to get the idea of ears through the bow, the tail through the ties at the back of the sheer black top and the longer side of the shirt and the sleekness of the dog's physique with the boots. Do you get it? Good!

I apparently also channeled Cher Horowitz...

Once there, we were taken into the main theatre to have our faces and bodies painted and wait until everyone was ready.


Here's me with my nose and face spots!

By 3pm we were ready to start and were positioned in the main foyer of the state theatre on and around the beautiful stair case.


There were naked women body painted to look like Dalmatians, three actual dalmatians, loads of cute kids decked out from head to toe in black and white, Anna Plunkett and Luke Sales (of Romance was born) in a stunning puffed sleeve number and printed leggings and tshirt respectively and the piece de resistance- actress Rachel Taylor as Cruella de ville in a simply outrageous design by the pair from RWB. (I don't want to spoil the surprise so you will have to buy the issue when it comes out!). This also explained why Matthew Newton was lurking around...

One particular outfit in the crowd which stood out was a vintage sequin dress which had been cut into a shift and the excess fabric made into a hat. The girl wearing it was very Lady Gaga with fierce style and long, false lashes.


Confetti dropped from the sky as we posed like dogs on blocks while others were draped over stairs.

After three different angles, the pic was done. I'm not entirely sure I was even in the picture! I'm quite certain my outfit didn't and there were so many people at all different heights blocking me (oh how ruuuuude!) I'll be happy if my face even made it in!

All in all it was very enjoyable. I've assisted on a number of shoots before (behind the camera) for various publications and I always enjoy it. While they're long, sometimes tedious and always draining and hunger inducing- it's really interesting to watch other people's creativity and vision come into fruition and I'm such a sucker for group feats such as this.

Last year, in a sort-of-similar situation a world record attempt was held by new idea magazine.

We were trying to break the record for most people knitting simultaneously for 20 minutes, and we did it! It was also for a good cause as we were knitting pink squares to make blankies to Breast Cancer sufferers.

Here's a picture of mum and I with world record certificate and the representative from Guinness World Records

So, tell me. Did anyone else attend today? Do you wish you could have? Who is going to buy the April issue of HB?
PS- I'm still trying to source the Romance was Born octopus bonnet; so if anyone knows where to find it, please let me know!

12 comments:

  1. You looked amazing Marlo. It will be a travesty if you are not in the final shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute outfit! As soon as I saw it I thought of Cher, how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I was there with my son, and it was fun! We did miss the catering lol but all in all i'm stoked I was a part of it and can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute outfit. You are stunning, and your hair omg!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outfit! You look amazing and the shoot sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olá!!

    I love to looks... so chic... so pretty...!!

    ivaniadiamond.blogspot.com

    from portugal... =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...WHAT AN EXCITING OPPORTUNITY! SO ARE YOU GOING TO BE PICTURED IN HB, OR WERE YOU JUET THERE TO FACILITATE BEHIND THE SCENES? YOUR COSTUME/OUTFIT IS ADORABLE! THE BOW IS SUCH A CUTE ADDITION! I HAVE NEARLY THE SAME HOT PANTS, I WORE MINE WHEN I WAS LADY GAGA FOR HALLOWEEN :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexandra- it was for a shoot for HB so hopefully will end up in the mag. I mean, the pic will, but whether or not you can see me is another story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi marlo! i was there too with my 4 kids .... i only checked the brief quickly when i got it and so we were the ones looking like dalmations, literally with the dots, the ears, that i made the night before. when we arrived, you did too and i thought how gorgeous you looked and that i was NOT going to wear our 'costumes'. The cast was full of 'creative' versions of the theme from the high fashion to the plain to the costumey and i think it will look amazing. the hanging around for a couple of hours was not the easiest to do, but the end result will be something I'm sure we all be happy to have been a part of. and thanks for letting me know that the model was rachel taylor...she was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Marlo...I really love your outfit! It's so cute!!! You have such a glamourous life!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohmigod, you NEED to be in the final shot. awesome outfit. also, so i can hold the pic up to my mum and be like 'look mummy it's marlo!' heehhe

    ReplyDelete

Stay cute...