Sunday, February 28, 2010

Losing a loved one

We've been inseparable for the past 3 and a half years. Really, it was love at first sight. We just fit so well together. I felt comfortable and that's what's most important, right?
We've travelled the world and seen some stunning places and been in all kinds of different social situations together; and I've never felt awkward.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I probably could have treated you better. Although I value you I know how tough you are and sometimes didn't care for you as much as I should have.

But yesterday that all changed.

Unfortunately I'm not talking about a 'real' relationship. By real, I mean between two people. No. This is a much stronger bond. That of a woman and her shoes.

It's no secret that my favourite shoes are those of French designer Robert Clergerie. And my very first pair, purchased in September 2006 may be on their death bed.
This is what they originally looked like:



And this is them now:


They have been

  • Resoled with Topy soles (twice)

  • Hole punched when the leather has become stretched

  • Stitched back together when the straps snapped away from the main part of the shoe

  • Polished countless times (including the sole)

And now, it looks like they'll have to have their soles (not the Topy, but the actual original soles) split in half (horizontally) to put the broken part back in and be re-glued down.

It's probably about time this happened anyway.

Like I said, I've had them for 3.5 years. That's four Australian summers, one American one and one Asian one. These babies have been all over the place. They were there at some landmark events in my life. Really important events; like when I got my Chanel Jumbo classic at Chanel's 5th ave. boutique.

*sigh*

But when you break it down on a cost per wear basis (literally about 450 wears at $628 a pair) it works out to be roughly $1.50 per wear. And for how comfortable they are, how gorgeous and different they are and how well they have lasted despite me wearing them in the rain, throwing them around after use and walking innumerable hours in them- maybe it is time to lay them to rest?

I'll take them to my trusty shoe repair people and see what the verdict is. They're probably sick of them by now- but in the wise words of Mariah Carey; even though I try/I can't let go.

Have you ever had to throw out something you absolutely adored? How did you do it? HELP!

And don't forget- I'm doing a giveaway when I reach 100 followers! Only 27 to go until I reveal the prizes.

2 comments:

  1. lovely post. i know what you feel like, i have a pair of high heels like that too. oh what i've done to save those. except, they're not even designers, they were about $30 CAN. i hope you and your lover will have a little time left and i wish you good luck :(

    btw i really want the chanel jumbo too. i saved up the money but i can't seem to be able to spend it when i know i could get a used car or pay the rent for a while once i move. egh. i wish i could follow my heart without my brain stopping me!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when that happens ... I lost a fave pair of shoes this week, platform cork Michael Kors high but comfy fun for summer strappy neutrals purchased in Dubai maybe ??? hhmmm January 2008 ... anyway they karked it *sigh* I do the justify per wear ... trouble is I've got one bag that is still running at $2,000 per use (used only 3 times) so THAT doesn't ALWAYS work ...

    ReplyDelete

Stay cute...