Sunday, February 14, 2010

Your heart's a mess

On Wednesday afternoon I decided to make a tribute to my favourite NBA team- Orlando Magic- in the form of gingerbread cookies.
I made stars, my fave boy Dwight Howard (complete with giant shoulders and a big, wide, white smile) and a slim little JJ Redick. There was also a basketball, but um....my 'skills' at piping need a little development. I guess I don't need to point this out as it will become evident pretty damn quickly.Today my little cousin (who is staying with me for a few weeks) had some Valentine's visitors so I decided to whip up some gingerbread hearts. Very festive.
The actual biscuit part turned out well. It was when it came time to decorate I knew I was in trouble.
While making the icing, I accidentally tipped about 2 teaspoons of pink food colouring into the mix; instead of 2 drops. How awkward. The mixture turned BRIGHT PINK.

It looked like beetroot puree...oops.
When it came to actually icing the damn things, those of you in Sydney you will know how hot it was today.
Despite putting the mixing bowl in another bowl of ice, the mixture just continued to melt off the sides of the biscuits. I pretty much GAVE UP ON LIFE.
I was so angry at one point I had to physically pipe a semi-smiley face onto the cookie to vent my anger.
SO. Once again I made something that tasted yummy and looked hideous. Maybe it can just become my 'thing'?
Everyone loved them, so I guess that's what counts, right?

What did you get up to on Valentine's day? Any cooking for you?

4 comments:

  1. I was going to make biscuits but ended up shopping and seeing the Valentine's Day movie.

    Your biscuits look lovely :) The hot pink is awesome.

    Hope you had a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the BEST cookies I've seen in forever. You actually made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like a spot of shocking pink - utterly fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh, I lurve Dwight Howard!!! Great cookies, my son would love them being a basketball/cookies freak!

    ReplyDelete

Stay cute...