Monday, March 8, 2010

Interview with Emma Seibold- Founder of Urban Remedy

You have probably heard alot of buzz about juice cleanses lately. Particularly about Sydney based company Urban Remedy.


Launched mere months ago, Urban Remedy is already at the top of their game; being tested and loved by fabulous women such as Lara Bingle and Melissa Hoyer.


I haven't actually tried Urban Remedy myself yet as I am waiting until I have a completely free week so I can take the detox seriously and not cheat or slip up. I will keep you all posted in the next few weeks. However, I have been lucky enough to interview founder, nutritional coach and yoga teacher, Emma Seibold on why she started Urban Remedy and her thoughts on a healthy lifestyle.


What inspired you to create Urban remedy?
I’ve done loads of detoxes in the past and they were all quite complicated to follow and involved taking a million different pills. It was just too complicated and time consuming. I wanted something that was easy and nutritious, and then I learnt about juice cleansing and how the body’s natural detoxification processes are increased enormously when you take a break from digesting food. The idea was to create something that was healthy, balanced, convenient and easy to follow.

What can we expect during and after our cleanse?
I liken it to a bikini wax; the process can be a little painful, but the results are well worth it. Basically on a detox your body is busy eliminating toxins and it doesn't feel great while they are leaving your system (typically you can expect mild headaches and some tiredness/lethargy). The plus side is that afterwards you really do feel a million dollars. You will have most likely lost a kilo or two (or maybe more), you’ll feel lighter and brighter, your skin will be clearer, you’ll have more energy and you’ll generally have a much healthier attitude to living having cleansed your system of the nasties.


What is your personal favourite out of all the juices?
I love juice number 1, which is apple, lemon, parsley, cucumber, celery, spinach and cos lettuce. It’s delicious and you definitely feel virtuous when you drink it. It just sounds and feels so healthy.


Is there a certain amount of times you can do a cleanse? Or is it best to just do it once as a kick-start to a new way of healthy living?
It really depends on the person. Some people like to cleanse for 1 day once a week as part of their lifestyle. Others like to do a 3 day cleanse once a month or couple of months in order to stay “clean” and healthy. I generally recommend a 3 day cleanse once every 2-3 months or a 5 day cleanse once every 3-6 months.


We have seen some gorgeous ladies like Lara Bingle, Melissa Hoyer, Zoe Foster and Roxy Jacenko from Sweaty Betty all do the cleanse; If you could get one celeb to do the Urban remedy detox, who would you like it to be?
Hmmm, I’d really love to see everyone doing it. I love that people like Lara and Melissa have loved the cleanse; it’s fantastic for the brand when people are sharing their positive experiences with their friends.


Do you ever feel extra pressure from people you know to be the epitome of health now that you have your own healthy business?
I’m pretty healthy already. I practice and teach yoga, I walk everywhere, I sleep really well, I’m a nutritional coach and I don’t eat meat. I drink a little (or a little more sometimes) and I definitely have vices (chocolate, hot chips, pizza and white wine), but on the whole I’m pretty healthy and treat my body well. I just feel so much better when I’m exercising, eating healthily and sleeping well.


Apart from the Urban Remedy cleanse, what do you do to stay healthy?
I eat extremely well. I like to eat a wholefoods diet, eating things as close to their natural state as possible. I also practice ashtanga yoga 6 mornings a week so that definitely keeps me fit and I choose to walk when I can and swim in the ocean often. I love feeling fresh, fit and healthy, so it’s very easy for me as I am just eating and doing the things I love.


Aside from the obvious benefits like clearer skin and sleeping better, have there been any unusual positives from doing the cleanse? Any immaculate conceptions? Illnesses cured? Girls falling in love with the Urban Remedy delivery man?
We’ve had loads of positive feedback, particularly from people who said that doing the cleanse has inspired permanent lifestyle changes to be more healthy. One woman said it cleared up her psoriasis which is great. I’m yet to hear of any Urban Remedy babies though and the delivery man is lovely, but no love stories there yet. I’ll keep you posted!



I don't know about you, but I'm much more inclined to try a detox from a business that is headed up by someone who has a a healthy attitude to life as well as putting this into practise themselves and I can't wait to give it a try!

Cleanses from Urban Remedy are priced from $65 per day (for a 3 or 5 day cleanse) and delivery to Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide begins this month, with delivery to Sydney already available.

Check out Urban Remedy at www.urbanremedy.com.au
or follow them on twitter at www.twitter.com/Urban_Remedy

2 comments:

  1. Am very much looking forward to doing this cleanse! We've had NOTHING like this in Melbourne and it's such a hassle to juice fruit and veg yourself. Can't wait to take advantage of the $20 off offer and see what health benefits it will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, there's NO WAY you could do it by making your own juices.
    I read on their website that they cold press them (like oilve oil??) so it's not like someone is standing there just putting them through a breville juicer.

    Also they use nuts, coconut and proteins- it would end up costing a small fortune, not to mentioned how much time you would spend putting it all together.

    Is the $20 offer the one on facebook?

    ReplyDelete

Stay cute...