Saturday, April 24, 2010

An army of cuteness!

Do you remember in March when I bought a book on petits fours? Well, I said I was going to bake my way through it to help perfect my neatness and presentation, and I realised I had completely neglected this challenge.
So tonight I decided to make some adorable mini lemon meringue pies.
The army reference has nothing to do with ANZAC day approaching. You will understand what I mean when you see the pictures.


Not that picture. That's the picture from the book. In my opinion, mine are slightly more adorable because they're more petite.
Thankfully I had some frozen shortcrust pastry, because I was not in the mood to make pastry. I cut out 35 7.5cm circles and pushed them into silicone moulds.
These were then baked for 12-15 minutes (or until golden brown) at 180 degress celcius (or 160 for fan-forced).
Set these aside to cool.


To make the lemon curd, combine 115g of caster sugar, 30g of cornflour, 2 teaspoons of lemon zest, 80ml of lemon juice, 185ml of water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat.
Once the mixture boils and thickens, remove from heat and add 30g of butter. Mix in well and then add 2 egg yolks gradually.
Spoon one teaspoon of the mixture into each of the pastry cases.


To make the meringue, beat 3 egg whites until stiff peaks have formed. Once you have these, gradually add in 170g of caster sugar until you have a thick and glossy mixture.
Spoon or pipe (I piped because it looks prettier) the egg white mixture on top of each of the pies.
                       

Pop back in the oven for 5 or so minutes, until the tops of the meringues are lightly baked.


I will definitely be trying this recipe again. They taste gorgeous- so tart! And they were really simple to make. I think they look alot more impressive than how easy they were to bake.

I hope everyone has a lovely long weekend! x

4 comments:

  1. They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, maybe if you have the time, you could head along to one of these - http://www.atablefortwo.com.au/2010/04/06/atft-food-photography-workshops/

    I'm sure your food tastes good but it always seems to look somewhat anaemic

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAH I know! Trust me, it isnt my (lack of) photography skills- the food just does not look that great in real life. I have said that often on my blog, though. You are right, it tastes good but I have had to ask people to eat my food with their eyes closed on more than one occasion!

    ReplyDelete

Stay cute...